E.& G.W. Blunt Azimuth Drycard Compass--SOLD
The gimbaled and weighted brass compass bowl is mounted inside this nicely finished mahogany box. A removable lid give access to the compass which has a mounted folding brass sight vane and one sighting eyepiece directly across the compass card. The 6 1/2 inch diameter card itself is made of a colored card that is fixed to the compass needle underneath. The card has a central image of an eight pointed compass rose marked with E.& G.W. Blunt, New York (1811-1866) on the center dial and a fleur de lys at the North designation. Designed for taking directional sights on the sun (or stars) near the horizon, to determine the local magnetic variation (and therefore the ships true heading), the azimuth compass was developed in the 16th century and became an essential navigational instrument. The case measures 10 1/2 in x 10 1/2 in x 11 in.